Monday, January 2, 2012

My first project

I decided to start this blog to chronicle my projects so I can easily refer back to them in the future if I want to try any of them again. Or use what I learned to try something new. After going to my first Renaissance fest since I was a child, I became obsessed with trying to make my own costumes.

My first project was an 18th century-style petticoat, which I think would look awesome as a peasant-type of skirt. I wanted this, which I saw on etsy. It was listed for $60 + $18 shipping.




I didn't want to pay $78 for it because there's a lot of stuff I want, so I decided to try and make it myself. I bought 4.5 yards of unbleached osnaburg fabric at Jo-Ann Fabric for $4.99/yd and followed the excellent instructions on this website and this website.

It was really easy! The hardest part was figuring out how big the knife pleats should be and how closely spaced to fit the waistband. But since it ties in the front and back, it's pretty adjustable so I didn't have to worry about being extremely precise.

Next post will be how I made the petticoat.






No comments:

Post a Comment