Loud, splashy tropical print + vintage maxi dress pattern = BRING IT.
|I loooove the colors of this fabric. Also, this style makes me look tall and slim. No complaints here.|
|I love how this fabric drapes.|
|Can't go wrong with an A-line dress. They're always flattering, even when they're in the form of vintage maxi muumuu dresses.|
I was surprised at how much fabric this pattern does NOT require. I bought five yards of this fabric (it was only like $2.00 a yard) thinking it had a directional print, but when it arrived I realized it doesn't. Since it's 60 inches wide, I made this dress out of barely over 2 yards of fabric. I still have 3 yards left to make something else fabulous with.
A few brief notes about making up the dress:
- I had to shorten the pattern by about four inches, and I still feel like it's a bit too long. Perfect for lounging out on the balcony on a sweltering early summer evening with a cocktail though.
- The pattern comes with a knee-length version as well, which I'm definitely going to make up.
- This pattern was so easy.
- The straps and the front band didn't even require interfacing, which made me happy.
- No darts, no gathers, no tucks, no princess seams. Just straight lines.
- I forgot to add the patch pockets.
- It was a size medium, 12-14, but there was only one cutting line on the pattern (i.e., there wasn't a line for size 12 and another line for size 14). That corresponded to a 34"-36" bust.
- My bust is 37" and I always pick the size that goes with a 36" bust and never have problems, but I had to grade the upper bodice of the dress down by about an inch total on each side, and I think it still gapes a bit but it's not really noticeable at all.
This pattern has such a wonderful drape, I really did feel regal as I swished around the apartment in my new dress.
|You can kind of see how the fabric moves in this picture, where I turned around too quickly trying to get a shot of the back of the dress.|
In conclusion, I love this pattern. The other bloggers who made up this pattern were not just whistling Dixie when they praised it.
Finally, a couple pictures of my amiga Lulu, who loves to photobomb my crappy photoshoots.
|She's such a beautiful dog. I got really lucky with her.|