Friday, March 14, 2014

Sensory overload in the fabric store

So I found this antique postcard the other day and I had to buy it because it pretty much describes me in every fabric store ever, online or on the street.




If fabric stores these days were full-service, I have no doubt I'd be this woman. My approach to fabric stores is this:

1. Head over to Joann's. Enter the store full of anticipation.

2. Look at every bolt of fabric at least twice.

3. Choose one or two bolts of fabric and spend 30 minutes studying each one, trying to imagine how it will look all made up.

4. Pick one.

5. Look at every bolt of fabric again, just to make sure I didn't overlook something.

6. Start thinking maybe the one I chose isn't really the best one for the project.

7. Look at every bolt of fabric again.

8. Find one that would be PERFECT OMG THIS WOULD LOOK SOOOO GOOD.

9. Check the price and get mad because it's $16.99 a yard and too expensive even with a 40% off coupon. I want a new pirate costume, but not for $75!

10. Decide to look online for something cheaper.

11. Head over to the trims section and spend an hour looking at all the different kinds of lace.

12. Find something that would be PERFECT and then cringe at the price tag. This costume is going to be expensive.

13. Go home and look online for hours. Pick some great stuff and let it sit in my online shopping cart for three days while I think about it.

14. Decide to purchase it, only to find out the sale ended while I was being indecisive.

15. Decide to just get the cheaper of the two fabrics I liked at Joann's, because I got a 50% off coupon from them for signing up for text alerts. It's as good a deal as I'm going to get.

16. Go back to Joann's. Enter the store, full of anticipation.

17. Find out that all the fabric I liked is now on sale for 30% off, so I can't use my coupon. Refuse to purchase ANYTHING because I'd be paying $2.00 per yard than I would have if I could have used my coupon.

18. Leave store in a fit of rage.

19. Come crawling back two days later and grudgingly buy fabric I wanted even though I think it was a shitty move for Joann's to issue a 50% coupon during a week when they were going to have almost everything in the whole damn store on sale.

20. Make new pirate costume for the Renaissance fest and feel totally fabulous and infinitely talented when it's all done and I look amazing.

21. Start planning next project, and go through this whole thing again.

It's exhausting just thinking about it.

Going back to the postcard, the postmark on the back dates it to 1915. It's almost 100 years old. Here's a picture of the back:


Danville, June 11, 1915, 4:00 pm

TO: Miss Maggie Houghton, Cabot, VT

"Hello M I may be over Sat. night our Sunday anyway we plain to come over tonight but Rofe could not go everything is fine. I.S."

June 11, 1915 was a Friday. So the sender expected Maggie to get this postcard the next day. That's really efficient postal service! Especially when you look at the address. How on earth could anything be delivered with an address like that? Was the world really that small back in 1915 in Cabot, VT?

Well I guess it must have been. According to a Wikipedia entry, the population of Cabot Village, VT in 2010 was just 233 souls. But there's another Wiki entry for Cabot Town, which includes Cabot Village, that says the population was 1,433 in 2010. Confusing. But, according to the census records of 1910, the population really hasn't changed very much in 100 years.

Either way, it's a small town. And my goodness, is it rural and ever so beautiful. Look at the Google images. It's just lovely.


No comments:

Post a Comment